Nowadays people are getting clever and clever about where they are entering their emails. We all know the game has changed. Drastically. Because people are now aware of the existence of those bad companies that sells people’s emails to other companies as a package, and they also know this is getting more common every day, so they are much more careful now.
Which is why that even for really trustworthy businesses it is still very hard to grow an email list. And this KILLS the opportunity to get more clients on one of the best marketing channels, slowing down a business’ success.
Yes. The good guys AGAIN “paying the price” due to the sins of others.
But I’ll show you how you can leverage your business faster and change this game a little.
I’ll present to you in this article powerful ways to capture emails without looking like you are capturing them from the client’s perspective. The goal here in these strategies I’ll show you, is to make people realize they have the OPPORTUNITY to put their e-mail and get the benefits without caring too much about their inbox.
But enough small talk.
Let’s cut to the chase!
#1. CAPTURE E-MAILS WITH A QUIZ
Alright, this works. And VERY WELL. When you’re running a Marketing project for a company (or a client) this is an awesome strategy to implement because you can do the following in stealth mode:
- 1. Capture people’s emails (oh really Peterson!? I wasn’t expecting that!)
- 2. Ask something “key” that might change your marketing strategy (but subtly of course)
- 3. Learn more about your audience regarding a specific subject of your niche
Quizzes are very rewarding from the marketer perspective because you can find out things about your audience without actually asking them. It’s indeed very useful to work with quizzes because at the same time you ask questions that can help you make marketing decisions, you can also learn exactly what your audience is thinking (which sometimes may surprise you!).
For example, I’m currently working for a client who is a Psychologist and he wants to treat people online, just using a webcam. But he’s different. His treatment is centered around Hypnosis and Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP), which he uses as a therapeutic solution to reverse deep emotional issues such as depression, phobias and every kind of deep trauma a person may have.
This makes his niche a great opportunity to use a Quiz because people will want to know something in advance of what’s wrong with them. Surely you must set some boundaries and make it explicit for people who are taking the quiz that the test is not a diagnostic, but you can still explore a lot because people are “emotionally intense” in that niche.
So the goal I set for this project is simply to make people engage on the Quiz to grab their emails so it can be possible to send them great content, helping videos and sales letters (of course).
But in order to get those results you M-U-S-T keep one thing in mind when working with a Quiz:
Didn’t understand, right? Alright let me explain that part in case you haven’t read this article yet. Well, regarding people who are depressed and have mental struggles, what do you think that are their possible “emotional hit points” that can MAXIMIZE conversions? Which quizzes could we create in order to get more leads?
Here are some possible answers:
- “Are You Happy?”
- “Are You Insecure?”
- “Do You Really Need Therapy?”
- “How do People Truly See You Socially?”
- “Do You Have Emotional Issues?”
- “Are You Sad or Depressed?”
Those are some quizzes I made up for this project which was a POWERFUL way to capture e-mails. Since this client started from ground zero and had no clients online, it’s pretty awesome to go from 10 emails to more than 430 emails within less than 3 weeks. And this is just the beginning since we are just starting.
All those results happened thanks to the quizzes being able to create a strong emotional connection with the user, making him invest his time on the majority of them.
So remember the main point here because it is key for more conversions:
For example, a fitness niche could do some quizzes focusing on these points:
- “Are You Considered Strong for Your Body Weight?”
- “Which Foods Fits Best For Your Training Program?”
- “Do You Have Better Genetics to be a Powerlifter or a Bodybuilder?”
Now, this is only the beginning, but you must start right. You must make the investment “necessary” for the user, that’s step 1. Next, you will need to create very smart questions in order to make people engage on your quiz, because if people see any dumb questions you lose. But filling your test with actual great questions will help you grow your traffic and turn it into leads at the same time, whilst you will possibly reduce your bounce rate in half.
You’ll get SEO benefits and you’ll maximize conversions at the same time.
“But is there any rule for the SEO part, like the number of questions Peterson?”
Well, I always bet on user experience. Always. So from my experience it’s best to use around between 12 to 15 questions in your tests because that way, people will feel they actually made a true, valid and solid test whilst at the same time, they won’t feel that it will be something that will take them too long to complete.
So pay attention to the number of questions as well. Remember that.
Because the right amount of questions will make you deliver REAL VALUE by asking for enough information. People will be aware that they are not wasting their time, so it helps to find the sweet spot. That is why you should keep in mind that VALUE must be delivered in order for this to work perfectly.
The only exception here might be a niche which is dominated by intellectual people, like MBA blogs or something similar. Those will probably demand more “brain investment” and more questions from you or else the visitors will curse you on twitter if your test is too superficial. But that’s an exception.
But let’s get back to the actual questions.
I will now show you one of the questionnaires that I created that made me capture more than 150 emails within DAYS. It only has 12 questions but it worked so hard that it placed 4th on Google for the long tail search “do you have emotional issues”, causing a traffic spike of 500% (+-):
THE QUIZ: “Do You Have Emotional Issues?”
#1. Do you do things very slowly?
a) No, I don’t.
b) Sometimes I do things slowly. But it’s not very often.
c) Yes. Totally.
#2. Do you constantly think that there is no hope for you in Life?
a) No, I believe that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.
b) There are times when I think that way, but it’s not all the time for sure.
c) Yes. For me I do think there is no hope. None.
#3. Do you currently have NO pleasure or joy in your Life?
a) No. I feel very well most of the times!
b) There are times that I feel sad, but it’s not that often
c) Yes. I have no pleasure anymore in my own life.
#4. Do you feel sad, miserable and unhappy?
a) No. I feel very well most of the times!
b) There are times that I do feel very sad, but it’s not every day.
c) Yes. I’m always sad and depressed. I’m constantly feeling like that.
#5. Have you lost interest in doing your own things for the past 3 months?
a) No. I still continue to pursue what I want for my own life!
b) I have been feeling discouraged lately, but this mindset didn’t overwhelm me yet.
c) Yes. I have lost the will to fight for my own things.
#6. Do you need to do big efforts to accomplish simple things?
a) No. I do everything automatically without any problems.
b) Sometimes I do struggle to do simple things, but it is rare.
c) Yes. Everything that is simple to do is getting harder and harder for me nowadays.
#7. Do you feel like a failure?
a) No. Never. I know I’m a winner.
b) Some moments I do feel like that. But I always try to turn things around.
c) Yes. I’m a failure. I know that.
#8. Do you think like you should be punished or you are guilty for some reason?
a) No. I’m quite good about myself.
b) Sometimes I do feel like I should be punished a little for my mistakes
c) Always. I do deserve punishment and I know it.
#9. Do you enjoy sleeping a lot in order to go through the day faster?
a) No. I love enjoying the maximum amount of time of each day of my life.
b) Just to rest a little of my life because sometimes it is boring.
c) Yes. Because living the whole day for me is horrible. I prefer to sleep and let it go away.
#10. Do you wish for a relationship you don’t have nowadays?
a) No. I’m very happy with my love life.
b) More or less. There are certain things that do need to change.
c) Yes. I would like to be living something else entirely different.
#11. Do you feel depressed even when good things happen to you?
a) No. This never happens.
b) It happens a few times when I’m worried about something.
c) Yes. This has been my way of living for a while.
#12. Do you feel all alone even when you are in the middle of a crowd or your friends?
a) No. I’m always having fun when I am with other people.
b) Sometimes. But only when I’m worried or thinking about something.
c) Always! I feel all alone and abandoned while in the middle of other people.
That’s it. That’s the quiz.
And if you pay attention you can see that most of the questions are incredibly “strong” for those who are depressed and experiencing emotional problems, which is why they will engage EVEN MORE because they’ll want to know how bad is their emotional state. They need help. They need answers. And you are giving a good opportunity to take them. That’s why you must hit the pain correctly.
And since you might be wondering which plugin I used, for this project I choose Quiz And Survey Master which is REALLY due to its features. You can even create your own CSS rules (if you have the knowledge of course) to make the forms and buttons prettier. Besides, the paid version allows you to integrate it directly with a Mailchimp email list, saving your time and making your life much easier by automating your lead generation process. People will do the quiz and after they enter their email it will go straight to your Mailchimp list. A really powerful tool.
I will show you just some addons QSM has below:
- User Dashboard — A page where users can review all their results from all quizzes
- Mailchimp integration — Emails entered go straight to your mailchimp email list
- Slack integration — Post a message directly on your Slack chat after a test was taken
- AWeber integration — Emails entered go straight to your aweber email list
A very good tool that can help you a lot. Besides, it can be used for other things not just quizzes if you’re a creative person. Check out their website to be aware of all its features and to see all it can do for you. You can pick the free version or the paid version. Your choice. Enjoy.
OK. Now regarding the questionnaire, these are the key points you should do to make it more effective:
- PLACE THE FORM AT THE END OF THE QUIZ — Put the form that will capture the email at the END of the quiz because that way, the user will have made a huge emotional investment on the quiz, besides the time investment as well. And this will force him to think he should enter his data anyway, so he don’t feel like he have lost his time by answering all those questions. Most people won’t hold back their data at the end because they know they have spent time doing the quiz and leaving without no reward at the end, is not an option. Which is why this approach will make it easier for you to capture more emails. Because more time invested means more leads. If you put the form at the beginning you already start with the “boring part” and your bounce rate will be high.
- ALWAYS SEND THE USER’S ANSWERS AND THEIR RESULT BY EMAIL — Do not show the result for the user on the screen at the end of the test. Never. Make him enter the right email so you can deliver the result of his test by email. Otherwise, people will do the quiz but you won’t get the benefit from it. There are some guys who will enter a fake email OR a valid email with blank spaces between the letters, to attempt to confuse the software and to avoid becoming a lead. Which is why you should always send the result by email because that way the fault lies on the visitor if he enters a fake email or an invalid one.
- ALWAYS DELIVER ALL THE RESULTS AND SHOW WHERE HIS PUNCTUATION FITS — This is something I do to prevent people from doing the same test twice. Look, some will do the test for the sake of curiosity and just to see different results. They are not really interested on the test itself, they just want to see how the software behaves. Which is why you should send the user the questions, his answers, his score/points and all the possible results. The plugin allows you to set an amount of points for every option and all you have to do is to define a “weight” (points) for each answer. Next, just create some range standards and define a result for EACH point range. For instance, on the questionnaire above I defined 2 points for the 1st answer, 1 point for the 2nd answer and 0 points for the last answer. Then if a person’s score is between 22 to 24 points, the user will get one result. If the user score is between 21 to 18 points it will be another result, and so on. And all you have to do is to list all the results on the same email, but point to the user which one he fits on. This will prevent people from doing the same test twice just to kill curiosity. But anyway, you’re free to explore it and create your own rules because after all, this is just advice.
- ALWAYS END THE EMAIL WITH A CALL-TO-ACTION — With this project I’m working on, the worse are the results of a user, the better. So if someone actually gave some really depressed answers, then I would add the CTA for the person to register and start the treatment, besides the result itself. You see? This works very well especially because people will be reminded of how bad they are and that they need help. Of course, you shouldn’t be a jerk and be tendentious on your results, be fully honest. Help people. Always. You should make the results as transparent and honest as possible and even show some results as like “Well, you don’t need my service” somewhere, because that will boost your credibility. But always end with a CTA so people also have something ready to click on if they save your email on their inbox.
By applying these approaches, I was able to get INCREDIBLE results in a short amount of time. Within WEEKS the business was entirely different — thanks to more engagement and brand awareness — and I was able to expose my client to much more people, just with this single strategy. And the SEO works very well too, as you can see on the images below:
This traffic overload is exactly the quiz itself because it placed 4th on Google they day it was published. At that time I was with less than 30 articles on my client’s blog. No fans, no links, nothing. And this strategy also helped my organic numbers, as you can see below:
The low Organic bounce rate it’s not only thanks to the quiz itself. Obviously. It’s a combination of my content strategy, my copywriting skills, and my design approach. All that together created some great results and the quiz definitely played a good part in that since now I have almost 10 quizzes on that client’s website.
So keep in mind that quizzes are a POWERFUL way for capturing emails AND to bring traffic.
Now, let’s continue.
#2. CAPTURE E-MAILS WITH A WEBINAR
Webinars or “Online Events” are another happy way to grow your email list because people enjoy interacting with REAL people. They prefer to talk to a real person instead of just interacting with your written content or your videos, and as a result, they will pay with their email address to get a stronger connection with you and your business.
Besides, webinars build brand awareness and they help you to sell.
But heading back to the strategy, keep in mind that a webinar will not get you a lot of emails at first. No. There are some “limitations” that comes from playing this strategy correctly, blocking you from overdoing it.
A good example is the 2nd point of what I show below, which narrows down the time window for people to register. This will make people leave and not convert for several reasons such as “I won’t be able to attend to” or “I will register if on the day if I got the time”. And although there are those companies that put on the landing page an “The schedule is full for the month” notice to fake massive success, it doesn’t convert as much too.
But it does work when you are either starting to gain some authority or when you are having solid, massive traffic. So give this a try in case you are experiencing these situations because IT WORKS once done correctly. And 90% of the time those who register to the webinar are all high-quality leads.
Well, in order to get a great conversion rate on this strategy, you’ll need to follow these rules:
- THE WEBINAR MUST BE ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMER’S NEEDS — No CTA. Don’t try to sell anything. Neither on the Landing page nor the “Welcome to the webinar” email nor the whole webinar itself (maaaaaaaaaybe at the end of the webinar). But keep in mind that this is all about the customer. Period. You must sell the HUMAN APPROACH of your business and reinforce the idea that the client is dealing with humans on the other side, which are nice enough to give awesome value without charging or selling anything. That approach will enhance your brand and make it easier for you to close a deal and at the same time, help you promote your own webinar, resulting in more leads. People will promote your webinar because they will see that all the value is nothing compared to giving you their email address.
- THE WEBINAR MUST BE IN A TIGHT SCHEDULE — In the beginning you’ll be tempted to open a webinar every day just to capture more emails because you’ll see people registering fast. But no, don’t do that. Don’t make an “everyday webinar” or it will lose its power and people won’t associate that much value to it. You must transmit the idea that whoever is showing up to the webinar is busy and that they have a short amount of time to deal with webinars. And that’s a rule even if you’re working for a big company. Which is why is better to launch 1 webinar per week so people can also FEEL the scarcity and give more value to it.
- THE WEBINAR LANDING PAGE SHOULD NOT RAISE ANY DOUBTS — What I mean here is that people can’t have unanswered questions when reading your webinar landing page. Look, understand that you and I are considered “smart” when surfing on the web because we can learn any tool within 5 min just to log in into the webinar. That’s great. But common people, on the other hand, WILL have a mental barrier if they don’t know which software you’ll be using for the webinar (for insntance). And a doubt is a good motive for the user to bounce. So if you don’t explain everything in a simple way and if you let any doubts raise from your Landing Page, you’ll lose conversions without knowing why. For example, I struggled to figure out WHY people weren’t registering to the webinar I created for the Psychologist but then, after some quality research, I discovered that the main answer to that was “I don’t have Skype”. I wouldn’t imagine that answer. And sure, you can explain to the lead that you can use Appear.in instead afterwards, but at that point, you’ve already lost a possible customer and his email address. Which is why you MUST keep things simple and explain everything on the LP in detail, thus, eliminating any possible barrier that is a stupid motive for people not converting (like the skype problem). Make people know what you’ll be using, how long will be the webinar, how many people can be in the room, any rules, warnings etc. Unanswered questions mean less leads for this strategy.
- THE WEBINAR LANDING PAGE SHOULD SHOUT THE BENEFITS — People will need to know in advance WHY they need your webinar, how much value will you add to them and what will you teach. You must answer all that. So remember to make the benefits very explicit in order to get more leads.
Did I make myself clear?
All you need to remember is that a webinar must be 100% customer-based and the goal is to make your brand more human, more present and more connected through a more personal way. With that in mind, you’ll get much more leads because people will see the difference.
Now let’s finish this because I want to go to the gym.
#3. CAPTURE E-MAILS WITH A DISCOUNT COUPON
The last powerful way to capture emails is definitely discount coupons. They indeed do convert a lot. And that’s because EVERYBODY wants to pay less for something and come out as “the smart guy who paid less” to other people. Yes, unfortunately we humans are very selfish sometimes.
But don’t feel guilty or curse your customers.
Because there is no living soul in this world that would say “No, I don’t like a discount. Get the hell out of my face!”. We all know that doesn’t happen. So for marketers, the only thing you must know is HOW to approach this strategy from the right perspective, by implementing certain principles for discount landing pages.
PS: I forget to tell you. In case you want an AWESOME tool for creating Landing Pages that is also a plugin for WordPress, click here.
Alright, so let’s talk about the most efficient ways to capture emails through a discount coupon:
- THE DISCOUNT SHOULD BE THE BIGGEST INFORMATION — A person when reading from computer screens suffer a little more than reading from a piece a paper, and when I say “suffer” I mean you get more tired faster. And that’s because the computer screens are indeed more tiring for the humans eyes, causing us to read 25 percent slower than if were reading a book, for instance. This fact adds up to the fact that usually only 28% of the page’s text is read by users and the rest of the page is just scanned. And this is exactly why the BIG BENEFIT — which is the discount — should be big as hell in your Landing Page. That’s the first step. Next, if people see the discount then the next thing they will want to read about is on WHAT you’re giving such a good discount. And next, it’s just time to work your magic and make damn good copy.
- MAKE THE LANDING PAGE VERY SIMPLE AND OBJECTIVE — Don’t put a lot of shiny things like unnecessary images nor a lot of information that can confuse your lead. In this situation, the customer only wants to know 3 main things: 1. How much is the discount, 2. On which product, 3. And what’s the “catch”?. Period. His payment to get all that will be his email and he already understands that part, so don’t go that extra mile by putting unnecessary information. The discount, the product, the rules, an email field and a button all wrapped up in a good design is enough to capture more leads. Understand that if the user would like to know more about the product he will research that, which is why you don’t need to place a lot of information here. Another point is that you are already GIVING something to the customer, so is HIS chance to grab the opportunity of the discount in exchange of his email. Do not sell the product, sell the discount. Period. Less is more here.
- MAKE THE LANDING PAGE MORE HONEST AND TRANSPARENT — Honesty will impact your conversion rate, you can bet on it. This is why placing “Hey 83% OFF!” when there’s a catch like a hidden rule behind this discount won’t work as much as if you would be announcing a “Hey 21% OFF!” discount which is 100% real, without any “small letters”. The more transparent and honest you’re with the users, the better will be your results. Remember that. Because people will dig deep to find any hidden conditions most of the times, after all they don’t like to be played. This is why articles like this one appeared on Business Insider.
Well, that’s it!
Those are the main points which you should worry about in order to make this Lead Funnel more effective. But in case you are still a little confused, here are some 2 good examples of what I was talking about:
See? Straight to the point and very clear. No exageration of any kind and focused on the exchange “EMAIL vs DISCOUNT”. Period. That’s all you need to know. The rest you can rely on yourself and explore your own creativity with your own design ideas, don’t hold back. So test these points I’ve shown to you and see what works best with your creative mind.
Nowadays you must play a different game if you want to get QUALITY LEADS because people are becoming more and more cautious regarding their personal data. The rule is to provide much more value to the customer in exchange for their email address and not go all thirsty trying to trick them into something, just so you can send annoying sales letters to their inbox later.
Remember that if you follow this rule, and if you REALLY care about people and care about providing value to them, your business will grow much faster and mostly with high-quality leads. Your unsubscription rates will be very low compared to other businesses and you won’t have to worry too much about that specific part of your marketing, trust me.
Well, I hope this helps my friend.